Literature Committee - District 1
Online - 2nd Sunday of the month at 2:00pm
ID: 838 7475 5524
PW: 826 608
Composition: All interested A.A. members in District 1 are eligible to participate. Literature Representatives elected or appointed by home groups in District 1 are especially encouraged to participate. The District 1 Literature Committee Chairperson, Alternate Chairperson and Secretary/Treasurer are elected by the committee to serve a two year cycle to correspond with other District 1 elected trusted servants. The Chair of the Committee should have 3 years of sobriety and 1 year of general service experience.
Scope: The Literature Committee derives its mission from the A.A. Guidelines for Literature Committees published by the General Service Office:
- Informs groups, district or area assembly members, through displays and other suitable methods, of all available Conference approved literature, audiovisual material and other special items
- Considers suggestions regarding proposed additions to and changes in Conference approved literature and audiovisual material as it relates to Conference Agenda Items
- Encourages A.A. members to read and purchase A.A. literature
Additionally, the Committee:
- Provides a communication channel between District 1 and the Area 15 Literature Committee/Literature Desk at G.S.O.
- Encourages A.A. groups to consider appointing or electing a group Literature Representative who will ensure that A.A. literature is on hand for meetings and that it is properly displayed
- Shares with General Service Representatives the wide array of A.A. service literature that is available
- Holds monthly Committee meetings
- Provide updates to the Website Committee as it relates to the Literature Committee webpage
- Attends the Quarterly South Florida Area 15 Literature Committee workshop at area assemblies
- Attends monthly District 1 business meetings and submits a report regarding activities of the Committee, including Treasurer report of expenses
- Prepares and submits annual budget request to the District 1 Finance Committee
- Prepares displays and attends District 1 events and workshops or by request of A.A. groups
Our committee derives its mission from the A.A. Guidelines for Literature Committees published by the General Service Office. Committee members inform groups, district or area assembly members, through displays and other methods, of all available Conference-approved literature, audiovisual material and other special items; become familiar with the information on G.S.O.’s A.A. website (www.aa.org); display literature for groups, area, and district functions; consider suggestions regarding proposed additions to and changes in Conference-approved literature and audiovisual material; and encourage A.A. members to read and purchase A.A. literature.
Additionally, we encourage A.A. groups to consider appointing or electing a group literature representative who will ensure that A.A. literature is on hand for meetings and that it is properly displayed; share with General Service Representatives the wide array of A.A. service literature that is available; and attend the South Florida Area 15 Literature Committee workshop at area assemblies and share our committee’s experience, strength and hope in regard to carrying the A.A. message through literature.
We allow ourselves to be guided by these words of A.A. co-founder Bill W., who often called the influence of A.A. literature “incalculable”:
“Suppose, for instance, that during the last twenty-five years A.A. had never published any standard literature … no books, no pamphlets. We need little imagination to see that by now our message would be hopelessly garbled. Our relations with medicine and religion would have become a shambles. To alcoholics generally we would today be a joke and the public would have thought us a riddle. Without its literature, A.A. would certainly have bogged down in a welter of controversy and disunity.” -- The A.A. Grapevine, May 1964; The Language of the Heart, p. 348